Most of the people who have a sweet-tooth, love this fried version of sweet dough. Talking about its origin, Doughnuts were first introduced in North America by Dutch settlers who were also responsible for popularizing other American desserts including cookies, apple and cream pie.
These are either cooked in oven or deep-fried with different kind of toppings like custard, icing, chocolate-flakes, sugar, jam, jelly and lots more. The fried version contains more fats for obvious reasons.
Think about a popular ‘Doughnut-Joint’ and two names pop-up in our minds without fail – ‘Dunkin Donuts’ and ‘Krispy Crème’. I thought, why not prepare it ourselves and add our own kitchen too to this list! I tried my hand at it and got really delighted by the result. Thought I must share this with all the die-hard Doughnut fans at myspicetrail. So, here’s the recipe. Do try it out and share your experience with us.
– 175 gm butter
– 50 gm castor sugar
– 2 eggs
– ½ tsp vanilla essence
– 450 gm all-purpose flour (Maida)
– 1 tsp baking powder
– Milk to bind the dough
– 1 tbsp coarsely chopped walnut
– 1 tbsp Grated Coconut
– 1 tsp raisins
– Oil for deep-frying
– Cooking chocolate (melted)
– Chocolate chips
– Coarsely chopped walnuts
– Powdered sugar
– Grated fresh coconut
– In a deep bowl take butter and sugar, beat it nicely with the help of an electric beater
– When fluffy add eggs, vanilla essence and baking powder to this and whisk again. Add maida and with the help of little milk make good tight dough out of it.
– Divide this dough into 4 portions
– Leave 1 portion as it is
– 1 portion add raisins
– 1 portion add coconut
– 1 portion with walnuts
– Wrap it in a plastic film and leave it for 15 – 20 mins in fridge
– Remove the dough from the fridge and make small balls flatten a bit with fingers and then with the help of a cookie cutter make doughnut shape
– In deep-frying skillet heat oil and when the oil is ready to fry, keep dropping the doughnuts to fry one by one to a golden brown color
– Remove the doughnuts on paper towel to drain out the excess oil
– Pick each doughnut and dip it in chocolate to give it a coating
– You can then sprinkle your favorite garnish to give it a beautiful color and your kind of taste. Like sprinkle some chocolate chips, sugar, dry fruits, gems, desiccated coconut, tutty-fruity etc.
– Let it cool for some time and relish every bite of it