Most of us can connect suppertime with sound of crackling snacks and sipping tea. Going by this belief, I would suggest calling it – Snack Time! While some still rely just on a cup of tea or coffee in the evening, it is a treat time for most of us. After all, it is not only about treating our taste buds but also having a good family time.
So today, I am going to share one recipe that you will love preparing as a tea-time snack. These are considered as the best rolled-appetizers in the Asian cuisine and are famously known as – Spring Rolls. Originated from China, it started picking up rapidly in the South East Asian countries and soon spread to the other parts of the world as well. So much so that they its now counted as an essential in the unique dining experience that offers sophisticated style and high quality at value prices.
Stuffed with luscious and varied fillings, these wraps are best enjoyed with varieties of zestful dipping and sauces. It is simple, nutritious & healthy and compliments any main course or beverages. The filling that I have used is rich in iron, calcium & vitamins and therefore is the best diet for any age group. Enough of chatter I guess! Now let us wear the apron and get cooking!
– Olive oil
– 1 onion chopped
– 3 to 4 cloves of finely grated garlic
– ¾ cup of sliced mushrooms
– 1 cup of chopped spinach
– 2 pcs of green chilies chopped
– ½ cup of grated cottage cheese (paneer)
– ½ cup grated processed cheese
– Salt to taste
– ½ teaspoon of crushed black pepper
– Place a skillet on stove, add 4 tbs olive oil and wait till it warms.
– Add onions & garlic and sauté until fragrant.
– Meanwhile chop the spinach, green chilies and mushrooms and then add it to the skillet.
– Sprinkle some salt & black pepper over it, now add the grated cottage cheese and leave it for about 10 mins so that the mushrooms and spinach softens and cooks.
– Remove the skillet from heat and put the mixture in a bowl, mix the processed cheese in it.
– Now, take spring roll sheets and scoop in some filling. Fold the left and right side of the wrapper over the filling. Now rolls the sheet from top to bottom and then seal the edge by dipping your fingers in some water and pasting over the sheet.
– Pour in some oil (about 1 inch deep) in a deep-frying pan, leave it on a medium to high heat. Wait until the oil bubbles up and is ready to fry. Test by dipping one side of the roll if it sizzles then it’s ready to leave the spring rolls into the pan.
– Cook until its golden brown and place it on paper towels to soak the access oil from the rolls.
– Serve the spring rolls while they are hot with some schezwan or chilly sauce.