Garamagaram pakoras (fritters) along with a hot cup of tea is all what we crave for whenever rain hits the ground first.
I have shifted base to the UAE for quite some time now but I still and will always cherish the frills that rainy season brings along, especially in India. The chitchat sessions with folks while munching pakoras and sipping tea standing in the balcony of my Udaipur residence is an experience worth mentioning.
While we all (especially Asians) love eating pakoras and know its few varieties like paneer (fresh Indian cheese), aaloo (potato) and pyaaz (onion) we seldom try including chicken for various reasons. I will give you a simple and quick recipe to relish chicken in form of pakoras.
Tender, juicy, breaded and downright delicious, it will even give the likes of KFC run for their money! It looks like KFC but has originated from my very own kitchen so I would like to call it an Indian dish only. Very economic than buying Chicken Nuggets from the supermarket, these are perfect for munching as a quick snack during every season besides monsoon.
Salt & black Pepper to taste
2 cups of Corn Flakes
1 cup of Bread crumbs
1 teaspoon of Red Chili powder
500 gms of boneless Chicken breast
1 tablespoon of Corn flour
1 medium-sized Lemon
Oil to fry
- Blend corn flakes, breadcrumbs, salt & Red chili powder to make a crispy masala (don’t make it powdery, preserve the crunch)
- Take chicken and cut it down into thick strips
- Marinade the chicken with corn flour, salt, lemon juice and red chili powder. Leave the marinade for an hour.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl, add salt & pepper to it and dip the chicken strips in it.
- Now when all is done, pick each strip of chicken one by one and roll it into the crispy masala. Hold the coating tight, in order to maintain the crisp
- Take 1-cup vegetable oil in a pan. Put the stove on low to medium flame and wait until the oil gets warm. Fry the strips until golden brown. Check with a fork if the chicken is cooked. Do not over fry it. (The oil should not be very hot else, it will burn the chicken. Do not flip the strips immediately after leaving in the oil else the coating will be lost. Fry for 2 mins and then flip.)
- Remove the strips on tissue to let off the excess oil from it
Serve it hot with chili sauce or tomato ketchup.