Come Eid-Ul-Fitr, the biggest festival for Muslims all over the world and the atmosphere is full of peace, harmony & the aroma of the special delicacy – Sheer Khurma that makes the celebration even more jovial. We can say that after 30 days of devotion, prayers and fasting in Ramadan, it is time to feast.
Sheer means sweetened milk and Khurma means dried dates. It’s a very simple yet delightful preparation made by vermicelli, milk, dates & lots of dry fruits and served to all who visit to greet. In fact, every house makes it a point to prepare this dessert along with many other servings as a part of the custom on Eid-Ul-Fitr.
My aim has always been to bring across easy-to-prepare and delicious recipes. And since today, 30th August 2011 is the auspicious day of Eid-Ul-Fitr itself, I would like to begin this blog with the most special dish of the season Sheer Khurma.
Eid Mubarak and enjoy the feast!
- 15 dried dates (overnight soaked in rose-water)
- 1 ½ tablespoon of raisins
- 15 almonds
- 15 pistachios
- 15 cashew nuts
- ½ teaspoon of good quality saffron (dissolved in 4 tablespoon milk)
- 120 gms of roasted vermicelli
- 2 ½ liters of whole milk
- 8 green cardamoms
- 3 ½ tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 ½ cup of fresh cream
- 1 cup of sweetened condensed milk
- Clay pot for serving
- Boil milk and add 1/2 cup of sugar and dissolve it
- Chop all the dry fruits and slice the dates and keep it aside
- In a deep pan take ghee and heat it for a min now add roasted vermicelli to it and cook for about 2-3 mins
- To this add cardamom, dates and dry fruits. Roast it for 2 mins.
- Keep stirring so that it doesn’t burn
- Add milk to this and allow it to cook for 5 mins
- Beat the cream nicely and add it in the boiling pudding
- Now pour in the sweetened condensed milk and allow it to boil
- Check if anymore sugar is required; if yes then add finely powdered sugar, so that it dissolves quickly
- Add the saffron milk, for that perfect aroma and color
- Sheer Khurma shouldn’t be very thick and neither too liquid. So check if its thick u can add some more milk to it.
- Serve it hot or chilled in a clay pot (if you don’t have one, then in any serving bowl) sprinkle some chopped dry fruits and saffron over it
- Relish every spoon of it